by Kaya Konopnicki
A simple elegant meal, pan-seared duck breast is one of my go-to meals. The short list of ingredients and ease of preparation make this one of my favourite meals to have for dinner or when guests are coming over.
I normally pair the duck breast with a fruit chutney or a balsamic fruit reduction. The sweet and tart of these compliment the richness of the duck breast.
Serves 4. Prep time 5 min. Cook time 12 min. Rest time 10 min.
- 2 Duck Breasts
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425F (218C)
- Remove duck breasts from package and pat dry
- Score the skin in a diamond pattern. Make sure not to cut the flesh, just the fat
- Season the skin with salt and pepper. Be generous!
- Heat up a cast iron pan on medium-high heat
- When pan has heated up (it should be smoking just a little) place the duck breast skin side down.
- Sear the duck breast for 2-3 minutes until browned
- Flip over to flesh side and sear for another 2-3 minutes until browned
- Flip back to skin side and then place in the pre-heated oven
- Cook for 5-8 minutes (for medium-rare)
- Remove pan from the oven and place duck breasts on a cutting board and tent with foil. Let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the breast on an angle and serve.